Teaching and Learning
You will be joining the Sixth Form in order to maximise your academic potential and we are passionate about helping you make this happen.
The Sixth Form has three dedicated study areas, which all contain ICT facilities. Two of these areas are supervised silent study areas with the third area being a venue where quiet discussion can take place. Independent Study is a skill that we will help you to develop, as it will enable you to find success at Sixth Form and Higher Education.
You will find that your teachers will all be dedicated experts in their respective fields, sharing their knowledge with you through innovative and inspiring lessons. You will be encouraged to discover things for yourself and ask questions to deepen your learning. Subject teachers will stretch and challenge you and you are expected to work hard in return.
Our teaching staff will go that extra mile to support you outside of your lessons, meeting with you in study periods, at lunchtimes and after school to reinforce your learning.
On top of your A-Levels and BTEC studies, you will be given a choice of a curriculum enhancement option to broaden your CV and your independent study skills. You will be able to choose from:
- Core Maths – is an AS Level equivalent award, which enables students to increase their confidence in using mathematics to be better equipped for the mathematical demands of other courses, higher education and employment.
- Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme (Gold Award) – is an internationally recognised award, which will give you skills, confidence and an edge over others when you apply for college, university or a job. You don’t need to have done the Bronze Award to this option in Sixth Form.
- Extended Project Qualification – is an AS Level equivalent award, which will help you to develop a range of extra study skills. It is highly valued by higher education institutions as it demonstrates your dedication to independent learning and is often included in offers made by institutions to applicants.
- Fundamentals of Finance Qualification – allows students to develop essential knowledge of the financial services sector and commonly used financial products, such as shares, bonds and insurance and it will provide you with an understanding of financial terminology.
- Sports Leaders Qualification – which will enhance your leadership and coaching skills. In this qualification, you will be given the opportunity to coach younger students within the school and in surrounding primary schools. It is a great qualification to demonstrate that you have use your ‘soft skills’ to great effect.