Extra-Curricular: Duke of Edinburgh
Updated: Wed 22 Feb 2017
The Duke of Edinburgh's Award is a voluntary, non-competitive programme of practical, cultural and adventurous activities. TBSHS offers the opportunity for students to gain the Duke of Edinburgh's Bronze and Gold Awards.
Entry for the Bronze Award is at the start of year 10 and the Gold Award in year 12.
The Award is achieved by completing a personal program of activities in four sections:
- Volunteering: undertaking service to individuals or the community
- Physical: improving in an area of sport or fitness activities
- Skills: developing practical and social skills and personal interests
- Expedition: planning, training for and completion of an adventurous journey.
- At Gold level, you must do an additional Residential section, which involves working and staying away from home doing a shared activity
The time spent on each activity is dependent on the Award undertaken.
More details about the DofE can be found at www.dofe.org
Photo Caption: Gold & Bronze expeditions – 2016
Applications for enrolment on the Bronze and Gold DofE schemes at TBSHS are invited from year 10 and year 12 students respectively.
Information about the DofE scheme in general, and how it will run specifically at TBSHS this year (and next year too in the case of Gold) is contained in the attached letters.
To enroll, students will need to complete the form at the link in the letter with the assistance of a parent or guardian, by Monday 4th December, and arrange payment of the enrolment fees as detailed in the letters. A hard copy enrolment form will then be sent home and will need to be returned signed by a parent or guardian.
The DofE Award scheme is open to all but taking part is a big commitment. You must be sure you understand what you are signing up for and that you have the time to commit to it - in particular that you can make all the trips at your level of participation (see letters).
Thanks and best wishes
Mr B Rawlinson
Deputy Head of Sixth Form
The Bishop's Stortford High School